Journey in the 26th Exco!

Posted: Aug 24, 2013 by NUS SSWS in
0

Hello! Now is my turn to share about my experience during my term in the 26th Exco! :D

I am Sheean, the current Vice-President of the 26th Exco! There were two main reasons behind why I had decided to join the exco 1 year back.

1. The love and warmth I received from my seniors, my peers throughout my journey in social work, especially so during 2012 Freshmen Orientation Camp! The bonds that we formed with one another, the rapport we had while planning and playing during camp. It was then I thought I would want to give back to this society which had brought so much joy to my uni life, and I hope that I could contribute, with my tiny efforts, to also make the rest of the majors feel the same.

Indeed, during my term in the exco, it did provide me with so many opportunities to know other social work majors (and potential social work majors too!). I got to work with some of them, I got to listen to their stories, I got to learn so many things from those social majors I meet. These people, of course, includes my 10 other teammates in the 26th Exco.

2. I decided to join the Exco as I also thought it would be an opportunity for me to achieve personal growth (not physically :P). I thought university life should not only revolve around academic achievements, but also personal development. I would want to challenge myself to step out from my comfort zones and to gain greater awareness of myself.

Indeed, during my term in exco, I have gained sooooo much. There were times which I questioned my own competency in leading the exco as a Vice-President. However, I was constantly being supported by my teammates who were always there to give their honest feedbacks, to give their warm encouragement and honestly, I had gained so much from working with each and single one of them and they are all leaders in my eyes.  

By the time u have read till HERE, it means that there are only 2 more paragraphs to go. :P
To all the majors who are deciding whether a not to join the exco, I can understand that it is definitely not an easy decision to make. Am I able to commit and cope? What ifs…? Please do talk to us if you need! The purpose of us sharing our reflections is to hope that you can have greater insights of our wonderful experiences in the Exco!

In closing, I would like to say that I liked how the Social Work Exco has high amount of autonomy towards the directions of the society, It is up to you all out there, potential candidates of the 27th Exco to decide, what do you want to do to make a difference! We are all here to support you guys! :D


Love, 
Sheean

0 comments: